Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
We had an architecture question last week:
LearnedLeague precedent (LL77, MD21) – This Pittsburgh-area medical clinic sits at the former site of what restaurant?
A nice reminder of my childhood, as my local Pizza Hut had a roof similar to the one in the pictures above. I am now 6 for 8 in F/D this season.
Now, succeeding my posts on McDonald’s, Taco Bell, and Arby’s, today’s post is about Pizza Hut. Enjoy!
1. Brothers Dan and Frank Carney opened the first Pizza Hut in 1958 (this year marks the 60th anniversary) while they were college students. What university was the site of the first Pizza Hut, whose team name is the Shockers?
2. Pizza Hut’s greatest contribution is probably what style of pizza, which was introduced in March 1995? This style of pizza was first advertised in commercials with Donald and ex-wife Ivana Trump.
3. One of the oddest ads in history is a 1997 international Pizza Hut ad where what former world leader appears at a Pizza Hut?
4. The first console video game to ever feature in-game advertisements was a 1990 NES game named after what well-known characters? Some versions of this game also featured a cover that included this ad, which did in fact carry a coupon for a Personal Pan Pizza.
5. What is the food delivery system shown here called?
6. And ending with another blast from the past, what is the name of the literacy incentive program created by Pizza Hut in 1985? The top part of its round logo is shown here.
1. Wichita State
2. Stuffed crust pizza
3. Mikhail Gorbachev [full ad here]
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
5. Dinner Box
6. Book It!