Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
Let’s keep covering the F/D questions, and go to the tape:
LearnedLeague precedent (LL76, MD17) – A single word has been redacted from the top of each of these three posters (covered by red boxes). What is the word? (The blue boxes conceal examples of the word in question.)
Wow, this is a question. The answer is Gyros, and the screen shot above comes from this website from Kronos, where you can apparently create your own gyros poster featuring your face.
I determined it was food or drink, but had no idea what it was. I put Pepsi, thinking that the red and blue might be a hint. I have never seen these posters. If they are famous, that’s hard to prove. Only 4% of the website got it right, and honestly, that seems high to me. I guess the only way to get this right is by attending a bunch of cheap Mediterranean restaurants and seeing if this poster is hanging on its wall. With this question, I went 2 for 5.
While this gyros question might be the hardest question in recent history, at least we can make this a learning moment. I couldn’t find a good list of food posters to make a quiz on, so instead, a quiz about lamb might be good for a food blog. Enjoy!
1. Associated with the Cornwall area, what pie is seen here, which is made with mutton and apples, and not pigeon as its name would suggest?
2. A staple of Persian and Kashmir cuisine, name the dish seen here made with lamb braised in gravy and the root of the alkanet plant, giving it its red color?
3. Give the eleven-letter word marked out of this diagram.
4. You know how Rocky Mountain oysters aren’t really oysters? Well, the lamb equivalent, which is a popular dish in the Bluegrass region of Kentucky, is called lamb what, which also is a food that is not what it is?
5. Derived from Urdu possibly meaning “rice” or “to roast”, what dish seen here popular amongst Muslims in India is rice dish with lamb with spices?
1. Squab pie
2. Rogan josh
4. Lamb fries