Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
After three full Match Days, we still haven’t had a food or drink question, but we came real close!
LearnedLeague precedent (LL76, MD3) – Name the chef and fiery television personality whose namesake restaurant in London’s Chelsea neighborhood is one of only five Michelin three-starred restaurants in the United Kingdom.
As 89% of players also got, this is Gordon Ramsay. The question was classified as a Television question instead of a Food/Drink question, which I guess is fair. I mean, the question is about a chef and one of his restaurants. But, nonetheless, I unofficially count this as the first F/D question of the season.
As his excellency Guy Fieri was the first chef to get his own 5CT post, Gordon Ramsay will become the second. Enjoy!
1. Hell’s Kitchen is without a doubt Gordon’s most well known show. Name either the leftmost or rightmost person in these photos. The leftmost person served as sous-chef for the Red Team for the first 3 seasons, while the rightmost person served as sous-chef for the Blue Team for the first 10. The man standing behind Gordon was maitre d’, Jean-Phillippe Susilovic.
2. Gordon Ramsay is the manager of the famous grill restaurant found inside what London hotel? Opening in 1889, this hotel is basically hosted everyone famous that ever lived in the 20th century, including Claude Monet, Charlie Chaplin, Babe Ruth, John Wayne, Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, and Harry Truman. Also, Bob Dylan filmed his “Subterranean Homesick Blues” in the alley next to it.
3. Debuting in 2013, name the show that Ramsay is shown here hosting.
4. While Restaurant Gordon Ramsay, his namesake restaurant, is three-starred Michelin and still going strong, the two American restaurants he owned with stars have since closed. Both were named Gordon Ramsay at The London, both had one-star ratings from Michelin, and both closed in late 2014/early 2015. What cities were the restaurants?
5. As reported from a 2012 article by eater.com, the name of what animal has been redacted by purple rectangles in the story shown here? The green rectangle is for censorship purposes.
6. In this filmed bit for The Late Late Show with James Corden called “Hell’s Cafeteria”, Gordon is yelling at Julie Chen asking her “What are you?”. What is her answer?
Have a great weekend all!
1. Mary-Ann Salcedo / Scott Leibfried
2. Savoy Hotel
3. MasterChef Junior
4. West Hollywood & New York City
6. “An idiot sandwich”