Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
It’s Thanksgiving Week here at Five Course Trivia, so I’ll take you through a rundown of all the traditional foods you ought to know more about! Today’s edition involves squash, and I’ll admit, I really don’t know much about this fruit, except they look rustic. Enjoy!
1. Squash and pumpkins are found in the genus Cucurbita, which is Latin for what word, which is commonly associated with fruits like squash and pumpkins?
2. Name the variety of squash seen here.
3. Name the variety of squash seen here.
4. Soup joumou, a spicy soup often eaten on New Year’s that contains winter squash, beef, potato, plantains, and vegetables, is a famous dish in what country?
5. Stuffed squash, associated with the former Ottoman Empire, is a dish in what family of dishes? Coming from the Turkish for “to be stuffed”, this word describes stuffing any vegetable with things like meat, grape leaves, or cabbage.
6. Name the variety of squash seen here.
7. Zucchini is a type of squash. What’s the British name for it?
2. Crookneck squash
3. Spaghetti squash
6. Turban squash