Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
We had a Food/Drink question yesterday, so let’s go to the tape:
LearnedLeague precedent (LL75, MD1) – Chickpeas which are cooked, mashed, and blended with tahini and other ingredients form the dish called hummus. Chickpeas which are soaked, ground with scallions, garlic, and spices, formed into balls, and fried make up what other dish?
I got it right! Falafel is pretty mainstream, and while it has never been explicitly asked here on 5CT, I did know chickpeas are in falafel. Thus, I go 1 for 1 so far this season!
Today, we have more questions about chickpeas. Enjoy!
1. By far, the largest producer of chickpeas in the world is India, which produced 8.8 million metric tons of chickpeas in 2013. Who comes in second, producing a measly 813,000 metric tons?
2. Also called besan, give the other name of this Bengal flour made from ground chickpeas. For every 100 of it, protein makes up 22 of it.
3. Name the Italian stew made with chickpeas seen here, which includes salt cod, chestnuts, artichokes, and olive oil. It’s just “chickpea soup” in Italian.
4. From India, what is this rice and split chickpea dish seen here, usually served in cubes? It is similar to the also Indian dish Khaman.
5. What other name given to chickpeas is derived from the Old Spanish word arvanço?
6. Sabra dominates the US hummus market, making up at least a 60% market share. Name the Kraft hummus brand seen here, whose center letter has been spotted for you.
2. Gram flour
3. Minestra di ceci