Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
We’ve had two editions on doughnuts, but none so far about bagels. Well, with a lead-in of foods with holes, here’s some questions about bagels. Enjoy!
1. Name the name edited out of this bagel brand logo.
2. The lox seen on the bagel features a mild brining and was subsequently cold-smoked. What geographic name is given to this lox, taken from the province where New York originally received their salmon?
3. What word has been edited out here?
4. A traditional “everything bagel” includes three different types of seeds. What are those three seeds?
5. What topping takes its name from the Yiddish word for “grease”?
6. The two main types of bagels are the New York-style and the style found in which city? Bagels in this city are thinner, sweeter, denser, and feature a larger hole. This city is home to two famous bagel bakeries, Fairmount and St. Viateur, both found in this city’s neighborhood of Mile End.
2. Nova Scotia (called Nova lox)
4. Sesame, poppy, caraway