Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
A week ago, 5CT covered drinks that were supervocalic, or contained all five vowels. Turns out, there’s a bunch of drinks that also have this quality. Today, I’ll ask you to name some foods that have all the vowels just once, just like today’s cover photo MCDONALD’S DRIVE THRU. Only one of the answers below features the letter Y. Enjoy!
1. Snowball, Violet Queen, Cheddar, and Romanesco are varieties of which vegetable, the “gobi” in aloo gobi?
2. Give the one-word name for the larger food item in the photo seen here.
3. In Hawaii, ‘ahi is the more indigenous name of what seafood fish?
4. Made with chili peppers and Sichuan peppercorns, name the meat dish seen here, whose name comes from a title given to Ding Baozhen, an official of the Qing Dynasty in the 19th century?
5. Especially associated with Cajun cuisine, name the sausage shown here, made with pork, peppers, garlic, and onions, which in its original French, is made with chitterlings and tripe.
6. What substance would be involved in order to make a traditional fried turkey, as you might enjoy in the South? This substance is also prominent in Southeast Asian cuisine.
7. Name the controversial dish seen here.
8. Name the awesome dish seen here.
3. Yellowfin tuna
4. Kung Pao chicken
6. Peanut oil
7. Duck foie gras
8. Pulled pork sandwich