Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
First of all, if you are visiting 5CT for the first time, welcome! I hope you enjoyed the Eggs 1DS, and I hope to have more food quizzes on LearnedLeague soon enough. Thorsten, no pressure, but the people want me to have a MiniLeague.
As revealed last Friday, I’ll be in Italy next week! In an effort to brush up on what the hell will be going on, I finally talk about Italy on the 28th stop on the World Wednesday Gondola.
As you might imagine, there’s a bunch of things we could talk about for this quiz. In an effort to make it semi-organized, this quiz will use the basic meal structure seen in Italy.
1. Aperitivo – Name this apéritif, probably first created in Florence in 1919, made from gin, vermouth, and Campari.
2. Antipasto – For your appetizer, name this dish consisting of grilled bread with garlic, olive oil, and salt, and usually topped with tomatoes, vegetables, and cheese.
3. Primo – The first course of an Italian dinner usually consists of pasta. Besides pasta, what’s the other main ingredient in pasta e fagioli?
4. Secondo – The second course features the meat and potatoes of the dinner, which by I mean the meat. Originating in Milan, name this cross-cut veal shanks braised with vegetables, white wine, and broth. Its name means “bone with a hole”, referring to the marrow hole found in the center of the shank cut.
5. Contorno – A vegetable plate to help you digest that meat. What’s the main ingredient in the Sicilian dish caponata?
6. Dolce – Something sweet! Stracciatella is a variety of gelato, where shavings of what have been mixed in with standard gelato?
7.Caffè – Coffee. Caffè corretto is a drink that contains a shot of espresso with what other ingredient? Grappa and sambuca are Italian examples of this ingredient.
8. Digestivo – Another drink to round out the meal. Name the liqueur being poured in this photo.
4. Osso buco