Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
The F/D questions have been coming in hot, so let’s go over another one.
Learned League precedent (LL72, MD12) – The pungent odor and hot taste of what condiment, an essential ingredient in cocktail sauce and a Bloody Mary, is due to a substance called sinigrin that, when broken down by enzymes, liberates a volatile oil containing sulfur? The condiment is prepared from its namesake root vegetable, a member of the crucifer family (which also includes wasabi, turnip, cabbage, and mustard).
I was SO CLOSE to putting down Worcestershire sauce. I knew that a Bloody Mary was vodka, tomato juice, and Worcestershire sauce, and so I almost put it down. Luckily, I read the question a little closer, and saw the cocktail sauce part and the “includes a namesake vegetable” part, which got me the right answer. Now, I’m 4 for 6.
In honor of cocktail sauce, here’s a few more questions about dipping sauces. Enjoy!
1. Besides lump crab meat, what’s the other main ingredient in crab dip?
2. What vegetable, which is sometimes include in guacamole recipes, was shut down by Barack Obama in a 2015 tweet in response to a New York Times recipe, stating “respect the nyt, but not buying [this] in guac. onions, garlic, hot peppers. classic.”?
3. Name this sour cream dip seen in Eastern Europe, similar to crème fraîche and often used on blini. Also, it’s the last name of the Czech composer of the operas The Bartered Bride and The Brandenburgers in Bohemia.
4. Name the brand that has been edited out here.
5. Tough question, but here it goes: name the bar in downtown Buffalo, New York, founded in 1935, which starting in the 1960s became associated as being the inventors of Buffalo wings, and subsequently buffalo sauce, made with Frank’s RedHot sauce and butter?
6. In 2011, Heinz started releasing these cutting edge technology ketchup packets. Name the two words that have been colored yellow and blue in this picture.
1. Cream cheese
5. The Anchor Bar
6. Dip & Squeeze