Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
This week is Guest Week here at FCT, and I’m inviting friends and supporters of the site to craft some of their own questions! Today, we have questions from Conal Huetter, an archivist in Washington DC. Conal is also the author of the upcoming Sandwiches 1DS tomorrow, so be sure to play that. Everything after this point was written by him. Enjoy!
1. Fish and chips is a distinctively English dish, but fried fish was
originally brought to England by Sephardic Jewish immigrants from what
2. A popular alternative to malt vinegar in chip shops, what condiment
dates back to the temperance movement, owing to the fact that some
people’s beliefs forbade them from consuming a product that was made
3. Long John Silver’s is one of the best-known fast food chains where you
can find fish and chips. The chain is part of a larger restaurant
group that also includes Taco Bell, KFC, and Pizza Hut. What is the
name of this restaurant group?
4. Kingfisher Fish and Chips, located near Plymouth, was recently named
the UK’s top fish and chip shop in the 2017 National Fish and Chip
Awards. In which ceremonial English county, also famous for clotted
cream, is Plymouth located in?
5. What is the name of the snack commonly given to children in English
fish and chip shops, made from batter that breaks off from the fish
during the frying process?
Thanks again to Conal for crafting today’s questions! Stay tuned for tomorrow’s Guest Week author!