Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
In our first edition of World Wednesday taking place on a Thursday, the World Wednesday Bus rolls onto the Israel and its people. Note that some of these foods are probably more closely associated with Judaism than Israel, but both will be quizzed on today.
1. In Israel, the semi-circular dish seen here will contain mashed chickpeas, fried onions, and spices. Give either the name it’s known in Israel, or the general term for the dish.
2. Name the dip seen here made of sesame seeds and has a consistency similar to peanut butter.
3. Credited to the city of Nablus in Palestine, what cheese pastry seen here features Nabulsi cheese and shredded wheat surface, and covered with syrup.
4. Name the bread seen here.
5. Closely associated with the holiday of Purim, name the pastry seen here that’s made by folding dough into a triangular shape and filling it with poppy seeds or fruit preserves.
6. What is pictured here?
Tomorrow: Let’s end our week with a plate of broccoli. I know.
1. Sambusak or samosa
6. Israeli breakfast