Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
We had a F/D question yesterday, so let’s go to the tape:
LearnedLeague precedent (LL70, MD19) – A picture of what appears, appropriately, on the label for HP Sauce, England’s favorite brown sauce?
One of my hobbies is watching British quiz shows, and I was fortunate enough to have learned this fact last week while watching The Chase. I do like to research question while I’m watching the programmes, and several of these FCT installments are inspired from a question I did not know from a show. I’d *like* to think I would have gotten the HP-Houses of Parliament connection had I not known it, but we’ll never be sure. But hey, if you need to guess a British thing that appears on a logo, Big Ben is always a great guess.
Since we Sauces on Tuesday (where I seriously considered writing about HP Sauce, but chose to pass in order to ask about non-brand sauces), here’s a quiz on brown foods. Enjoy!
1. Brown rice appears brown as it retains an outer layer called what, consisting of aleurone and pericarp? Wheat kernels also contain a layer with this name, and the name is best associated with cereals.
2. Brown sugar is brown as it contains between 5% and 10% of what food product? This product is also the central ingredient of a shoofly pie.
3. The picture seen here is a homemade version of what brand of Little Debbie snack cakes?
4. Brown butter, but more formerly beurre noisette, is a butter used in French cuisine named after what nut, the color of which is the color the milk turns after heating?
5. The seal seen here came from the root beer variety of what soft drink company, founded in 1869 and closely associated with New York City?
Tomorrow: We ask our 1000th question!
3. Cosmic Brownies
5. Dr. Brown’s