Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
So, after the highly successful Guest Week we had not too long ago, I had a very late entry to join the game! Loyal friend and true of Five Course Trivia Choyon Manjrekar, who I’ll plug his twitter here, wanted to write an edition all about Rhode Island, so here is his product! Enjoy!
Note: If you want to write an episode of FCT, you have my approval! Just email me and we can talk.
1. After months of debate, the Rhode Island legislature enacted a bill in 2014 that made this dish the state’s official appetizer for its economic and cultural contributions to the state. What is this appetizer, which in Rhode Island is served with sliced banana peppers and marinara sauce?
2. Rhode Island’s state drink is milk with what flavor?
3. What is the drink in Question 2 known as when it is mixed with ice cream? It shares its name with a piece of furniture.
4. Fill in the blank: littleneck, cherrystone, _______ (Think of a famous fictional Rhode Island city)
5. What is this Italian confection eaten on St. Joseph’s Day? Usually sprinkled with cinnamon or powdered sugar, the Rhode Island version is unique because it is topped with cream or custard.
6. Although not brewed in the state anymore, what regional beer which began its life in Rhode Island is named after the state’s native tribe. Its becoming famous around the northeast and New York area as an alternative to PBR and similar mass produced lager.
7. Finally, no Rhode Island summer is complete without a question about frozen lemonade. Invented in Italy in the 1840s and now a Rhode Island staple, what is the name of the frozen lemonade that’s always available during the summer?
Thanks again to Choyon for today’s questions! Tomorrow, in honor of the Olympics, we travel A LOT for this World Wednesday.
2. Coffee. Coffee is the state drink. It’s not a latte, but milk with coffee flavor
3. Cabinet (More here: link)
4. Quahog, the largest native clam and the home of Peter Griffin on Family Guy
7. Del’s Lemonade