Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
We hit the produce stand again, so enjoy these questions about carrots!
1. In French cuisine, the classic dish of carrot soup is often named in reference to what northern French city, which saw the first battle of the Hundred Years’ War?
2. Carrot is one of the eight vegetables found in a V8. Of the other seven vegetables, which one comes before carrot alphabetically?
3. Give the term that has been blocked out by the orange box in this diagram.
4. Often used in Japanese cuisine, name the radish variety seen here that is, for obvious reasons, called a “white carrot”.
5. A dish that is made a la Jardinière is accompanied with vegetables like carrots, green beans, and onions. What specific type of person does the term “Jardinière” refer to?
6. A traditional Southern dish is carrot ___ salad, which blends grated carrots with a fruit product, along with pineapple, mayo, sugar, salt, and black pepper.
Tomorrow: I head back to the only country I’ve ever been to, Chile.
3. Tap root
5. A gardener’s wife