Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
On the last day of LL69, we had one more food/drink question, so let’s go to the tape:
Learned League precedent (LL69, MD25) – Jose Cuervo, Sauza, Los Abuelos, Orendain, and Arette are all spirits produced in what municipality within the Mexican state of Jalisco, about forty miles northwest of Guadalajara?
I am SHOCKED to learn that tequila is named after the town of Tequila. I genuinely would have guessed it was just Spanish for something like “lime-salt”. Sure, I should have recognized all of those spirits as tequilas, but you know I don’t know that. Jose Cuervo certainly sounds famousy, and I should have known that one. But, I guessed Tijuana, as it is one of the most northwest cities of all of Mexico. I end LL69 going 7 for 10 in F/D, which is something I’m very proud of.
So, let’s do some shots of tequila. It should be appropriate to list to “Tequila” by The Champs. I don’t have the research in front of me, but it could be the only #1 hit whose lyrics is JUST the title word. Someone who’s better at music could hopefully prove me right or wrong. Enjoy!
1. Name the tequila brand partially shown here.
2. Mezcals, a type of tequila made in the Mexican state of Oaxaca, can be sold con gusano. What does gusano translate as? The gusano is purely a gimmick, as a real gusano would prove that improper ingredients were used to make the tequila, and would thus never be sold on purpose.
3. Speaking of the process, name the plant seen here.
4. Created by musician Sammy Hagar, it’s the rhyming tequila brand whose logo is shown here.
5&6. Besides tequila, what’s the other main drink used in a Tequila Sunrise cocktail? What other drink is used in a Paloma?
7. Name the year that has been edited out of this picture (which serves as the name of the tequila). The tequila is owned by the same people who produce Jose Cuervo, and the year represents when tequila was first aged in oak casks.
8. First produced in France in 1849, what brand of triple sec is formally mixed with tequila and lime juice to get the classic margarita?
Tomorrow: This week’s Summer series entry will be about some tomatoes, ripe for picking.
3. Blue agave
4. Cabo Wabo
5. Orange juice
6. Grapefruit soda (like Fresca)