Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
I hope everyone has had a wonderful last few days of LL69! I ended up being 2nd in my Rundle, so I now move up to B! I have lots of things to talk about that, but I’ll save that for next week.
As promised, the Summer Foods series is continuing, so right before the weekend of the 4th, here is 12-pack of hot dog questions! Good luck!
1. While the city of Frankfurt gives its name to a pork sausage similar to hot dogs since the 13th century, what other European city gives its name to a sausage made of a mixture to pork and beef?
2. What geographic location is the namesake of the hot dog style seen here?
3. The typical hot dog eaten in Santiago is the Chilean completo, which is topped with tomatoes, sauerkraut, and what condiment?
4. In other places with weird things as a topping, if you get a Seattle Dog, you should expect what dairy product as its main topping?
5. Which brand of hot dogs by Hillshire Brands has the slogan “They plump when you cook ‘em”?
6. Speaking of hot dog slogans, give the famous six-word slogan of Hebrew National hot dogs, first used in 1965?
7. Which periodic table element precedes “erythorbate” and “nitrite” in the names of preservatives used for hot dogs?
8. According to their website, what retailer sells 100 million hot dogs every year, more than any other retailer in the United States?
9. According to the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, what taboo should you NOT do after you turn 18, regarding hot dogs?
10. Name the DC-style hot dog type shown here, which might take its name from the fact cooks will cut the sausage when grilling, or because of the original 50% pork 50% beef composition.
11. What was invented during the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis after Bavarian concessionaire Anton Feuchtwange didn’t receive back the gloves he loaned out to customers after serving them sausages?
12. Twelve college students each year are selected to receive the title of “hotdogger”. If you received that honor, which also meant you passed an in-person interview in Madison, Wisconsin, you are given the responsibility of doing what?
Next Monday: It’s the Fourth, so we are serving up questions about the Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest. Also, since those are questions that get significantly easier around noon, I expect the post will go live maybe at 9am that day.
Have a great weekend!
1. Vienna (thus, the Weiner)
2. Coney Island
4. Cream cheese
5. Ball Park Franks
6. “We answer to a higher authority”
9. Put ketchup on your hot dog
11. Hot dog bun
12. Driving the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile