Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
The World Wednesday bus takes us back to the United States, as we’ll cover the wonderful Cajun cuisine. Let’s kick the spices up, and enjoy our trip to Louisiana.
1. What adjective is used to describe the rice in the pictured Cajun dish?
2. Many dishes in Cajun cuisine rely on what’s called the “holy trinity”, which is just a group of three vegetables seen in many dishes. Name any two of those tree vegetables.
3. Avery Island was the original source and today the headquarters of what product, a staple in Cajun cuisine?
4. NOLA Restaurant, opened in 1992, is a restaurant specializing in Cajun and Creole cuisine and is owned by what chef/proprietor?
5. Name the fresh sausage seen here popular in Cajun cuisine, which is often formed into a namesake “ball” and is called this “rouge” when pig’s blood is added to the meat.
6. Coming from the French for “smothered” or “suffocated”, name the dish seen here, basically shellfish (probably crawfish) over rice, and served with a light roux sauce.
Tomorrow: More food trivia!
2. Onions, bell peppers, celery
3. Tabasco sauce
4. Emeril Legasse