Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
Guys, it’s summertime, which means we need to have more summer food trivia. With such “fun” topics as Brunch and Cornmeal in recent times, let’s have some fun with some questions on watermelon. Enjoy!
1. Seen here is the watermelon and mint variety of what kind of non-alcoholic drink, popular in Central America, where sweet fruits are blended with sugar and water?
2. Within 1%, about what percent of a watermelon is water? (I realize this’ll never come up in LL, but this is something you can certainly throw around at the next summer get-together.
3. Grown only on the island of Hokkaido and at a price of around the $250 a melon, the Densuke variety of watermelon feature what unusual physical trait? It’s not that they’re cube, which is a growing technique and not a species.
4. Name the country that produces the most watermelon by far, and name the US state the produces the most watermelon by just a little bit.
5. Watermelon is one of the five flavors you’ll get in a bag of Jolly Rancher Hard Candy Original Flavors. Name the other four.
Bonus 6. Name the American best known for his use of the application of a device named “Sledge-O-Matic” on watermelons since the 1980s.
Next Monday: More food trivia! Have a great weekend.
1. Agua fresca
2. Various reports show 91%, 92%, or 93%, with 92% being the most prominent. So, anything from 90-94% should be fine.
3. It’s black
4. China out produces #2 Turkey by 37x, and beats America by 72x. Florida BARELY edges out Texas, California, and Georgia. [2015 USDA Vegetable study here]
5. Cherry, Grape, Green Apple, Blue Raspberry