Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
This edition of FCT picks a fruit associated with juice cleanses. Here’s five questions about mangoes. Enjoy!
1. What animal names the mango slicing technique seen here?
2. Also called “mango powder”, name the spice seen here, made from early-season mangoes while the fruit is still green and unripe.
3. A descendent of the Haden mango, name the mango cultivar seen here, which is the most popular mango cultivar in the US and the UK. Its name comes from the first and last name of the native Floridian who first grew the tree in 1922.
4. The International Mango Festival is a two-day festival held annually in what capital city? This should come to no surprise, since its country is the top producer of mangoes in the world.
5. The mixed drink seen here is a mango variety of which cocktail?
Learned League precedent (LL44, MD20) – What is the name of the pigment that gives fruits and vegetables (such as sweet potatoes, mangoes, orange cantaloupes, and oranges themselves) their orange color? [This was actually a science question, but it still applies.]
Tomorrow: If music be the food of love, play on. But what if you just have a love of food? We belly up with the Bard.
3. Tommy Atkins
5. Tom Collins