Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
Today, we cover one of the two main condiments: mustard. Should be fun. Let’s do it!
1. Seen here is a powdered form of what Japanese mustard, often served with fish tempura dishes and is incredibly hot?
2. With 30%, French’s Mustard has the largest share of the mustard market. French’s made its debut in 1904 in which US city?
3. The grainy mustard seen in this jar is probably going to be used on what specific kind of sandwich? The mustard seen here gets its appearance and taste from the fact it has a higher concentration of mustard seeds than other mustards.
4. Give the brand name that has been edited out of this photo. I always make sure there’s a bottle in the nearest fridge to me, because it’s just that good.
5. Native to southwest India and used in curry powder, name the spice that is often added to mustards to give them a more yellow appearance.
Bonus 6. What is the appropriate response if someone rolls down their window and asks you, “Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?”
Learned League precedent (LL65, MD7) – Amora, Plochman’s, Händlmaier, Colman’s, and Gulden’s are among the notable brands of what food product?
Tomorrow: We head to the land of Thai cuisine. Should be a spicy edition.
2. St. Louis, at the 1904 World’s Fair
3. Po’ boy (the mustard seen is Creole mustard)
6. “But of course!”
LL. Mustard, duh