Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
To start out our week, we ask questions about Girl Scout Cookies. Really the only question to ask here is whether or not you put your cookies in the freezer. Enjoy!
1. Two different companies have official licenses to make Girl Scout cookies, which sometimes leads to the same cookie being sold under different names in different parts of the country (like Peanut Butter Patties and Tagalongs). One company is a subsidiary of Keebler/Kellogg’s, and the other is a subsidiary of Interbake Foods/George Weston Limited, and both companies are known under three letter abbreviations. Name either.
2. With 25% of the market, which cookie is the most popular cookie?
3. Name the cookie seen here. This lemon wedge cookie with powdered sugar is partly named for the city the Girl Scouts was founded in 1917.
4. If you perform the title action of the cookie seen here, what are you probably doing? It’s also called a Peanut Butter Sandwich, but that’s not an action you can perform.
5. While the Girl Scouts sell very popular cookies, Boy Scouts have been selling what other food product under the name Trail’s End since the 1970s?
Learned League precedent (LL64, MD10) – Of the official cookie varieties offered for sale during fundraisers for the Girl Scouts of the USA, which is the only one to have the Girl Scouts logo embossed on the cookie’s face?
Learned League precedent (Snack Foods 1DS, Q9) – While the most popular Girl Scout Cookie variety, Thin Mints, is consistent nationwide, the second most popular has two different manufacturers and names. What are the two names, represented by purple and green bakery locations on the map, respectively?
Additional Reading: Mental Floss wrote an article about some discontinued cookies in the organization’s history.
Tomorrow: Liquid gold. While I wish we were talking about Velveeta, it’s actually mustard.
1. ABC, LBB (Little Brownie Bakers)
2. Thin Mints
3. Savannah Smiles
4. Dancing (they’re Do-si-dos)
LL2. Caramel deLites/Samoas