Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
Today, we’re going out and getting some ice cream, which is good no matter what time of year. Enjoy!
[Behind the scenes: As it turns out, the order of Neapolitan ice cream is not consistent, so there went having a question about that. Come on, ice cream industrialists! Standardize VCS or VSC or something!]
1. Pictured here is what ice cream flavor, popular in Michigan and Wisconsin, which shares its name with a brand name not served to kids?
2. Name the Italian ice cream dish pictured here.
3. Probably my favorite ice cream (for multiple reasons) is which Ben and Jerry’s flavor, self-described as “Vanilla Ice Cream with Fudge Covered Waffle Cone Pieces & a Caramel Swirl”?
4. Seen here is a Peach Melba, a dessert designed by the great Auguste Escoffier, and named after Australian opera singer Nellie Melba. The dish is made from vanilla ice cream, peaches, and a sauce made from which fruit?
5. Keeping in line with more “my favorite things”, the picture below is my all-time favorite Hot Wheels car. What two words have been edited out of the oval at the top of the car?
Learned League precedent (LL33, MD12) – A layer of sponge cake is topped by a thick slab of ice cream, blanketed with meringue, and baked in a very hot oven for 5 minutes. This is the basic recipe for what dessert delicacy?
Tomorrow: Who knows? I’ll figure it out later.
1. Blue moon
3. Stephen Colbert’s Americone Dream
5. Good Humor
LL. Baked Alaska