Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
Today, we cover apple products, while you might be reading this blog post on your Apple product. Enjoy!
1. Similar to a cobbler or crisp, what traditional dessert is a baked pudding layered with apples and buttered bread crumbs, while using brown sugar giving it its title color?
2. Taking its name from the French hotel where it was first developed, name this upside-down pastry that uses apples caramelized in sugar and butter before it is baked?
3. What is the main spice used when making an apple dumpling?
4. Complete this analogy. Apples : Cider :: Pears : ___
5. While a standard martini is primarily gin, an appletini (which Mark Zuckerberg named Facebook’s official drink after its appearance in “The Social Network”) is primarily made of which alcohol?
Learned League precedent (LL65, MD12) – While Kirsch is a brandy made from fermented cherries, Cognac is made from grapes, and Slivovitz from plums, what fruit is used to produce Calvados?
Tomorrow: You’ll flip for flapjacks. Tomorrow, it’s a pancake dinner, with your choice of a side of bacon or sausage.
1. Apple brown betty
2. Tarte Tatin
LL. Apples, duh