Welcome to Five Course Trivia! Five days a week, we’ll post five questions about something from the culinary world, from soup to nuts and all dishes in between.
Each Friday, we’ll cover something in food that is good to know for trivia purposes or for general food purposes. This week, we cover barbecue, a topic this South Carolinian loves dearly. Remember, even vegan trivia players still have to know this meaty basics.
1. Give the brand name edited out of this essential barbecue element.
2. What name is given to the most popular type of barbecue in South America including Argentina, the techniques used to create that barbecue, as well as the social event of having a barbecue?
3. In this diagram, name the section whose name has been obscured by the blue box?
4. Ranging from 3” to 6”, which type of rib cut takes its name from the fact they are shorter than spare ribs?
5. And now some Carolina food! Name either of the two words that are covered by the gray rectangles in this map. And as a personal preference, mustard based is the way to go.
Learned League precedent (LL67, MD13) – What is the name used commonly for Prosopis juliflora and related species of small trees, which have various uses but are best known in the United States (and particularly the US southwest) for their use as a fuel for barbecues, and also perhaps for the namesake Dallas suburb?
Next Monday – It’s twice as nice when it’s rice!
4. Baby back ribs
5. Vinegar and pepper